Hey lovely people! Hope your week is going great!
Can you believe that it’s almost the end of October already? If you can’t tell…I’m kind of having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of this month ending so soon… I’ve been having one of those periods when on one hand I feel like the time is passing by so fast, but at the same time when I look back it makes me happy to see how much I’ve done in this short period. If you know what I mean then you know it feels surreal in a good kind of way… and while October has been good to me I look forward to the next month and all the new adventures that come with it J
If you’ve seen my last blog post (you can read here) you know all about my recent love affair with the world of Korean beauty. It also doesn’t hurt that I have 2 of my own Korean experts from www.iamsopretty.com by my side at all times. In today’s blog post I’m going to go through the ever so popular multi-step Korean skincare system and give a little bit of a background to each one of the steps. So let’s get started, shall we?
Before we get to the steps, let’s review the fact why the Korean skincare has been gaining so much popularity across the globe. First of all Korean women have been always known for their young-looking, radiant and glowing skin. Is it genetics or the result of that multi-step skincare process? My guess would be that it’s both…what’s the logic you ask? Well, I think genes and what we got from our mama is good and all, but only until a certain point. In my opinion if you really want to look great in your 30s and later on in life it’s all about that skincare … skincare (humming “it’s all about that bass” song in my head J)
Secondly, the Koreans just might be on to something and by something I mean the secret of youthful looking skin – that’s hydration, hydration, hydration. The reason for this is of course the fact that our skin mostly consists of water and to keep it plump, radiant and naturally glowing we need to maintain that level of moisture at all times. No wonder why a lot of Korean products are created with that single purpose of providing skin with that the much-needed moisture. Fun fact – some Korean women even go to the extreme of using more than one sheet mask a day no matter how busy they are. Crazy right? Or is it J
Then there is of course that ultra cute packaging…don’t you just adore it? I am a sucker for a good packaging and our Korean friends know how to do just that. Last but not least, let’s talk about the prices. Korean beauty market is so overwhelmed with products and the level of competition is like probably nowhere else in the world. So thanks to the demanding Korean women, we can get high quality skincare for very attractive prices of the Western high street skincare value.
Even though we Westerners are not used to more than washing our face twice a day and slapping on a moisturiser, don’t be scared off by the phrase “multi-step routine” because let me get you in on a little secret – you don’t really have to follow all of the steps every day. It’s more about what your skin needs – you just have to listen. There are also lots of factors that may affect the way your skin is at a certain period of time and that includes: change of weather, hormones, travel, food, life-style and so on. So you just have to see what your skin needs and take it from there. I think with any skincare (Korean or not) the most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the process of pampering yourself. At the end of the day you are doing this to take care of your skin and yourself – why not enjoy it as well…
*photos courtesy of IamSoPretty
Therefore, based on your skin needs you can create your own skincare regimen. The trademark of the Korean skincare is layering the products one on top of the other and here is how you can do it:
- Try out a double cleansing method i.e. using an oil-based cleanser followed by a water/foam-based cleanser. The first step helps gently but thoroughly remove all the oil-based elements (make-up, sunscreen and sebum), while the second step ensures complete removal of any leftover dirt and residue, completely washing it off the skin.
- Do not underestimate the power of a good toner – Korean toners help balance pH levels of the skin and prep it for the next step of skincare routine.
- Implement the step of using essences, serums and ampoules – it is worth it. These products are basically magic potions in a bottle. They contain concentrate ingredients that target problematic areas.
- Do not skip on the eye cream. It’s been proven that it’s better to prevent the appearance of wrinkles in the eye area rather than battle it once they’ve appeared. I will take that advice any day!
- Lock in all the goodness that you have by applying a face cream at the end of your routine every day and night.
- Always, always make sure to apply SPF protection every day no matter what the month of the year and what the weather is like. Sun cream is probably the only thing that truly protects our skin from premature aging.
- Treat your skin at least 2 times a week: whether you need exfoliation, a clay mask, a sheet mask or sleeping mask – make sure to do it regularly. Spending those extra 10-15 minutes before going to bed will make all the difference in the world!
- Take advantage of those spot treatment products – got a pimple, struggle with blackheads or acne – be sure there is a great skincare product out there that would satisfy your need.
That’s it for today’s post! Thank you very much for reading and I hope you found this information helpful to you in some way! Make sure to check back with me in a few days, as I will be going in detail of each of the above steps and sharing my personal experience. I will also be finally revealing a big surprise that myself and www.iamsopretty.com have been working on for you, so stay tuned J